POWER OF INNOVATION
Cutting-edge NTT communication technology that will change the world
The communication technology that will change the future
The possibilities of “VR x Sports” are infinite— “FPV Synthesis Technology” transforming sports
In the field of professional sports, use of ICT technologies such as AI, IoT, and VR (Virtual Reality) in athlete strengthening/condition management and tactical analysis of opponents began several years ago.
Baseball in particular is a world where performance data and image data has been actively used. Initially, utilization of data stopped at analysis of comparatively simple statistical information such as dash speed and number and ball retention time, but this sporting field has responded sensitively to technological developments in recent years. NTT DATA has been incorporating advanced data analysis utilizing the very latest ICT technology.
A training system for professional baseball players that utilizes VR technology developed by NTT DATA has been adopted by numerous baseball teams, both in Japan and overseas, beginning in 2016 with Rakuten Baseball, Inc., which operates the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles baseball team, and MLB, contributing to the improved performance and skills of many baseball players.
This training system for professional baseball players incorporates “Sports FPV Synthesis Technology” developed by NTT Media Intelligence Laboratories. This technology makes it possible for players to physically experience information obtained from enormous quantities of sensor data with an extremely high sense of presence, giving batters the simulated experience of being pitched at by an opponent pitcher existing in a VR space.
Based on all-surroundings image data, “Sports FPV Synthesis Technology” recreates baseball stadiums in 3D from viewpoints that are impossible to film during a baseball game. Live image data for the player is shown in this 3D space. By standing in the batter’s box wearing a head-mounted display, the player is able to repeatedly view the opponent pitcher’s pitching motion and the ball’s trajectory.
Adding regular game data acquired exclusively by the baseball team to this training system enables recreation of the pitching characteristics of actual individual opponent pitchers in fine detail. By repeatedly viewing these images in training, it is possible for batters to discern the pitcher’s strategy.
Furthermore, because this training system enables VR content to be created extremely easily, the data content used in the system can be updated even during the baseball season, making it possible to improve players’ performance and skills quickly.
During the 2016 season, NTT Data conducted verification experiments together with the Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles baseball team. There experiments provided positive proof that the training system can even be used during actual baseball games. These experiments were a world-first initiative in combining data owned by a professional sporting team and VR technology and utilizing this data in players’ training.
Furthermore, the incorporates “Sports FPV Synthesis Technology” for professional athletes has also been adapted for the amusement sector. In 2018, “Real Data Batting” that completely recreates pitchers’ actual pitching using regular baseball game data was launched at Rakuten Seimei Park Miyagi. This game soon became the talk of the town due to its ability to enable any one to casually experience the world of professional sports.
Looking towards soon-to-arrive 2020, high expectations are held for the further evolution and application of “Sports FPV Synthesis Technology”. Using VR spaces can not only enable players to physically experience realistic ball pitching that cannot be understood with two-dimensional videos, but also promote visualization of the player’s performance skills in response to the VR pitching, thereby contributing to the improvement of professional athletes’ capabilities.
High expectations are also held for VR as an entertainment tool. Since each game has a short duration, preventing VR motion-sickness, this technology can be enjoyed by many people of all ages, making it possible to attract new users. Moreover, there is potential for this technology to spread throughout not only the world of professional sports, but also the world of amateur sports, enabling anyone—including people with disabilities and people with physical fitness concerns—to casually experience the world of professional sports at any time. Just such a future is before our very eyes.
In order to realize this wonderful world view, NTT DATA, will continue to collaborate with various professional sports teams and promote the advancement of VR technology.
- The communication technology that will change the future A stadium that connects "dream" and "impression" NTT Japan National Stadium Project
The communication technology that will change the future
Immersive, realistic coverage of road cycling events
Advanced innovation and connectivity for the future Sports innovation that changes the common sense of watching road racing
- The communication technology that will change the future Re-imaging sports viewing through the power of technology, art, and design From Being Events to Watch to Becoming Events to Feel. The “SPORTS VIEWING RE-IMAGED” exhibition.
- INNOVATIVE INSIGHTS Vol.4 Transmits three movies’ worth of images in one second! “JUPITER”, the world’s fastest submarine cable system, will convey the excitement and inspiration of Tokyo 2020 to the world Background to the development of “JUPITER”,which has the world’s fastest transmission capacity
- The communication technology that will change the future The possibilities of “VR x Sports” are infinite— “FPV Synthesis Technology” transforming sports Anyone can experience the world of professional sports.
- B2B2X Collaboration Case Example Supporting the world’s top racing car drivers at speeds of more than 300 km/h, NTT’s biometric information solutions are opening up the way to new sporting possibilities Here we introduce NTT’s biometric information solutions for the world’s top racing car drivers.
- The communication technology that will change the future “Visualization of EKIDEN races” through the power of ICT NTT East Japan used ICT to provide support for “EKIDEN visualization”at the Kansai Men's Corporate Team EKIDEN.
- B2B2X Collaboration Case Example Innovating business and the world through 5G An abundant future brought about by 5G technology A convenient, enjoyable future will be arriving soon!
- B2B2X Collaboration Case Example Undertaking the digitalization of “human assets”: AMLAD® Digital Archiving Solution Combining NTT DATA’s digital archives technologies: AMLAD® Digital Archiving Solution
- The communication technology that will change the future 「Kirari!」 Achieving an overwhelming “sense of realism” Unprecedented “ultra-high sense of realism” recreated by Kirari!
- The communication technology that will change the future Futuristic Communication Realized by 5G “5G” next-generation communications collaboration creating a new future
- B2B2X Collaboration Case Example Facilitating comfortable travel for the increasing numbers of foreigners visiting Japan Technology for analyzing human flow
- B2B2X Collaboration Case Example Empowering the Earth with “Sports x ICT” Initiatives at the NACK5 Stadium OMIYA
- INNOVATIVE INSIGHTS Vol.3 Technology Connecting People What new communication technologies can be used to connect people in 2020?
- INNOVATIVE INSIGHTS Vol.2 Communications Technology that Spreads Play and Learning What methods are there to boost the learning effects of play and sports with a view to 2020?
- INNOVATIVE INSIGHTS Vol.1 Visions for Future Travel How would you welcome travelers visiting Japan using communications technology?