POWER OF INNOVATION
Cutting-edge NTT communication technology that will change the world
The communication technology that will change the future
“Visualization of EKIDEN races” through the power of ICT
As the year 2020 draws near, many sporting events in a range of sporting fields are being held across Japan. In particular, from the perspective of regional vitalization, it is anticipated that local EKIDEN road races, marathons, and bicycle races will be proactively held in regional areas.
“Road races” that take place over long distances, such as EKIDEN relay races, marathons, and bicycle races are an extremely popular type of event. Crowds of spectators lining the road and cheering on the athletes is a familiar sight.
However, such races present the problem of spectators being unable to have a bird’s eye view of the entire race because the athlete they are cheering on moves over a long distance, making it difficult for their supporters to follow them. Many supporters have voiced the desire to be able to “cheer on my favorite athlete from a distance”.
Moreover, for team events such as EKIDEN relay races, in strategic terms, staff want to be able to keep a constant check on each runner’s condition, and in actual fact, team mangers and support staff have voiced the desire to be able to “accurately know position information”.
Held in Ryujin Village in Wakayama Prefecture, the “Kansai Men‘s Corporate Team EKIDEN (Ryujin EKIDEN)” is an important road relay race that also serves as a selection meet for Kanto region representatives to compete in the All-Japan Men‘s Corporate Team EKIDEN (“New Year’s EKIDEN”) held on January 1 of the following year. Surrounded by abundant nature, the Ryujin Village course has many undulations, with a difference in altitude of some 200 m! Thrilling-to-watch dead-heats take place in various sections of the course.
For this race, NTT East Japan used ICT to provide support for “EKIDEN visualization”.
Specifically, the world’s smallest lightweight device with built-in GPS was developed, and this device was attached to runners’ sashes during the race. At 10-second intervals, the device acquired and updated information about each runner’s position, and the position data for each runner was displayed on the screen of a smartphone, tablet or PC. This small lightweight device with built-in GPS measures 85 x 52 x 7 mm and weights 38.6 g, and it can transmit for upward of 6 hours when fully charged. Moreover, the transmission interval from the small terminal can be adjusted from 10 seconds up to 3,600 seconds.
The IMADOCO + (“Where are you?”) positioning information service function was added to the device and customized for the Ryujin EKIDEN.
1. Predicted movement display functionThis function calculates average speed from the positioning information obtained by the device.
Using this speed, the runner’s movement is shown on a map in two-second intervals using predicted positioning information.
2. Advance start display functionAdvance starts occur frequently in this race, and so this function was added to enable two runners from the same team to be tracked simultaneously when this situation occurs.
3. Follow and display selected team functionWhen a certain team is selected, this function displays the movements of the team’s members in the center of the map, as well as automatically follows and displays the team’s movements.
4. Direction of travel display functionThis function displays runners’ direction of travel positioning using arrows in 8 directions.
5. Altitude difference display functionSurrounded by abundant nature, the Ryujin course has many ups and downs, and so in addition to showing the runners’ positions, this function has been added to display differences in altitude.
6.The group crowding functionOrganizes runner icons so that each can be easily seen when icons are overlapping due to the display scale being reduced.
Visualization of positioning information for the Ryujin EKIDEN was an experimental trial for mechanisms displaying positioning information acquisition data using small devices with built-in GPS based on “IMADOKO+” positioning service technology.
Based on know-how for providing positioning information in real time, NTT East Japan will continue to pioneer new possibilities for sports viewing in the future, such as using utilizing these technologies for EKIDEN road relay races, marathons, bicycle road races, and various other sporting competitions as well as walking rallies and other events.
The communication technology that will change the future
Immersive, realistic coverage of road cycling events
Advanced innovation and connectivity for the future Sports innovation that changes the common sense of watching road racing
- The communication technology that will change the future Re-imaging sports viewing through the power of technology, art, and design From Being Events to Watch to Becoming Events to Feel. The “SPORTS VIEWING RE-IMAGED” exhibition.
- INNOVATIVE INSIGHTS Vol.4 Transmits three movies’ worth of images in one second! “JUPITER”, the world’s fastest submarine cable system, will convey the excitement and inspiration of Tokyo 2020 to the world Background to the development of “JUPITER”,which has the world’s fastest transmission capacity
- The communication technology that will change the future The possibilities of “VR x Sports” are infinite— “FPV Synthesis Technology” transforming sports Anyone can experience the world of professional sports.
- B2B2X Collaboration Case Example Supporting the world’s top racing car drivers at speeds of more than 300 km/h, NTT’s biometric information solutions are opening up the way to new sporting possibilities Here we introduce NTT’s biometric information solutions for the world’s top racing car drivers.
- The communication technology that will change the future “Visualization of EKIDEN races” through the power of ICT NTT East Japan used ICT to provide support for “EKIDEN visualization”at the Kansai Men's Corporate Team EKIDEN.
- B2B2X Collaboration Case Example Innovating business and the world through 5G An abundant future brought about by 5G technology A convenient, enjoyable future will be arriving soon!
- B2B2X Collaboration Case Example Undertaking the digitalization of “human assets”: AMLAD® Digital Archiving Solution Combining NTT DATA’s digital archives technologies: AMLAD® Digital Archiving Solution
- The communication technology that will change the future 「Kirari!」 Achieving an overwhelming “sense of realism” Unprecedented “ultra-high sense of realism” recreated by Kirari!
- The communication technology that will change the future Futuristic Communication Realized by 5G “5G” next-generation communications collaboration creating a new future
- B2B2X Collaboration Case Example Facilitating comfortable travel for the increasing numbers of foreigners visiting Japan Technology for analyzing human flow
- B2B2X Collaboration Case Example Empowering the Earth with “Sports x ICT” Initiatives at the NACK5 Stadium OMIYA
- INNOVATIVE INSIGHTS Vol.3 Technology Connecting People What new communication technologies can be used to connect people in 2020?
- INNOVATIVE INSIGHTS Vol.2 Communications Technology that Spreads Play and Learning What methods are there to boost the learning effects of play and sports with a view to 2020?
- INNOVATIVE INSIGHTS Vol.1 Visions for Future Travel How would you welcome travelers visiting Japan using communications technology?