POWER OF INNOVATION
Cutting-edge NTT technology that will change the world
The technology that will change the future
Realized by 5G
Fifth Generation Mobile Communications (“5G”) is transforming how people watch sports and live their daily lives. In this age, it is becoming possible to connect various devices to the Internet, not just smartphones and mobile telephones. Right now, all eyes are on R&D advancements in 5G technology, for which commercial services are scheduled to commence in 2020, leading the world.
DOCOMO is producing results one after another that prove the near-future possibilities realized by 5G communications technology, including the world’s first “wireless data transmission between a base station and mobile station in a highly mobile environment exceeding 300 km/hr” in April 2018 and successful “wireless live relay of 4K high-frame-rate video.”
Furthermore, with the aim of achieving practical application of 5G technology from 2020, the “DOCOMO 5G Open Partner Program” has been launched with the goal of developing services for realizing new lifestyles based on 5G. With the participation of many enterprises across business types and conditions, collaboration to expand new initiatives is proceeding at a rapid pace.
The 1G (mobile communications transmitting audio as-is as analog data) was born in 1979. Issues were raised regarding the 1G’s susceptibility to noise and eavesdropping, and a digital system was introduced for the 2G. For the first time, not only audio but also e-mail and Internet services were provided. The 3G made exchanging e-mails and photographs as well as using the Internet via mobile telephone into ordinary everyday activities.
Since the advent of the current 4G/LTE, use of smartphones has spread rapidly, and it is now possible to perform a diversity of activities—ranging from streaming movies and music to shopping and making payments—with just your smartphone in-hand.
Today, these services are a matter of course, but just a short time ago, they were the stuff of dreams.
What, then, will happen with the advent of the 5G?
What kind of exciting future awaits?
What new advances will the “high speed”, “large-capacity”, “low latency”, “multiple-terminal simultaneous connecting” 5G show us? Utilizing VR (Virtual Reality), AI (Aritificial Intelligence), and the IoT (Internet of Things), DOCOMO’s challenge has begun in a diversity of fields, such as creating new lifestyles, safe and secure community development, and sports-watching experiences providing an amazing sense of “being there”.
Synchronized robots and humans
Image transmission utilizing 5G’s “low latency” characteristic enables robot manipulation with the sensation of moving your own body. It is anticipated that use of robots remotely controlled from a safe location at dangerous sites, such as disaster zones, will spread widely in the future.
Remote Musical Jam Sessions Realized by 5G Technology
What if you could jam with friends or professional musicians who are far away? Low-latency 5G makes it possible for people in different places to play musical sessions together in real time. The day is not far off when you will be abled to connect with musicians and singers through low-latency/high-presence sound and images. New entertainment possibilities are expanding thanks to 5G technology.
In addition, by connecting technologies (IoT, IoA, robots, AI, etc.) previously unconnected by 5G through 5G, we are endeavoring to create unprecedented services, applications, and content—elimination of traffic congestion; remote control of heavy machinery; enhancement of security monitoring systems; nursing care monitoring systems, and remote medicine; and creation of realistic music and sports-watching experiences, etc. The world that you once saw in a movie will soon be materializing before your eyes.
There are two years remaining until the Tokyo in 2020.With Japan being the one of the first countries to realize 5G technology, sports-watching experiences that we cannot even image now may be realized, including completely new live-viewing that fuses AR and VR, and live coverage using 8K, which provides high resolution 16 times that of the full-high vision currently in use.
What kinds of innovation will 5G technology generate? It may be possible for us to have thrilling experiences that no one has ever even thought of before.
The future created by 5G will soon be arriving in 2020!
The technology that will change the future
Immersive, realistic coverage of road cycling events
Advanced innovation and connectivity for the future Sports innovation that changes the common sense of watching road racing
- The technology that will change the future Re-imaging sports viewing through the power of technology, art, and design From Being Events to Watch to Becoming Events to Feel. The “SPORTS VIEWING RE-IMAGED” exhibition.
- INNOVATIVE INSIGHTS Vol.4 Transmits three movies’ worth of images in one second! “JUPITER”, the world’s fastest submarine cable system, will convey the excitement and inspiration of Tokyo 2020 to the world Background to the development of “JUPITER”,which has the world’s fastest transmission capacity
- The technology that will change the future The possibilities of “VR x Sports” are infinite— “FPV Synthesis Technology” transforming sports Anyone can experience the world of professional sports.
- B2B2X Collaboration Case Example Supporting the world’s top racing car drivers at speeds of more than 300 km/h, NTT’s biometric information solutions are opening up the way to new sporting possibilities Here we introduce NTT’s biometric information solutions for the world’s top racing car drivers.
- The technology that will change the future “Visualization of EKIDEN races” through the power of ICT NTT East Japan used ICT to provide support for “EKIDEN visualization”at the Kansai Men's Corporate Team EKIDEN.
- B2B2X Collaboration Case Example Innovating business and the world through 5G An abundant future brought about by 5G technology A convenient, enjoyable future will be arriving soon!
- B2B2X Collaboration Case Example Undertaking the digitalization of “human assets”: AMLAD® Digital Archiving Solution Combining NTT DATA’s digital archives technologies: AMLAD® Digital Archiving Solution
- The technology that will change the future 「Kirari!」 Achieving an overwhelming “sense of realism” Unprecedented “ultra-high sense of realism” recreated by Kirari!
- The technology that will change the future Futuristic Communication Realized by 5G “5G” next-generation communications collaboration creating a new future
- B2B2X Collaboration Case Example Facilitating comfortable travel for the increasing numbers of foreigners visiting Japan Technology for analyzing human flow
- B2B2X Collaboration Case Example Empowering the Earth with “Sports x ICT” Initiatives at the NACK5 Stadium OMIYA
- INNOVATIVE INSIGHTS Vol.3 Technology Connecting People What new communication technologies can be used to connect people in 2020?
- INNOVATIVE INSIGHTS Vol.2 Communications Technology that Spreads Play and Learning What methods are there to boost the learning effects of play and sports with a view to 2020?
- INNOVATIVE INSIGHTS Vol.1 Visions for Future Travel How would you welcome travelers visiting Japan using communications technology?